Our Montessori roots date to 1964 with an informal beginning on the side porch of Pat and Larry Schaefer’s home in Norwalk. Our school was known as The Child’s Work Center, serving Pre-School / Primary children.
By 1965/66 we had grown to 25 families. By 1975 we operated out of two locations (Norwalk and Wilton). We merged with The Norwalk Day Nursery in 1979, a facility founded in 1909 to care for children of parents working outside the home. With this merger, our school inherited a third location (a home on Golden Hill Street in Norwalk), assets earmarked for a building to consolidate all of our programs and a commitment to serving children of working parents (Early Morning and Late Day).
In 1988, through the commitment of our Board and generosity of a few families, we purchased the property and became The Montessori School.
We welcome children from diverse communities, backgrounds, abilities, religions, races and cultures, and enjoy active family participation in the life and health of our community. We are a private tuition-based independent school with a comprehensive program of tuition assistance in cases of financial need.
Our programs include infant parent groups, Toddler, Primary, Elementary and Middle School.
With a commitment to quality Montessori education for 50 years, we remain steadfast to the standards of the Association Montessori Internationale and to our mission.